Saturday, April 2, 2016

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - The Gift Of The Maud Pie Review

            I've gotta be honest with you guys when I say that I had pretty mixed feelings going into this episode.  On the one hand, the fact that the title of this episode clearly states that Maud Pie is in it was an instant plus for me.  I don't know about you guys, but, IMO, Maud Pie is easily one of the best supporting characters in the show.  Every time she speaks in that monotonous, deadpan voice it automatically makes all of her lines hilarious.



            But on the other hand, the title was kind of a giveaway for what the plot was going to be like.  Anyone familiar with classic literature could easily point out what story the title of this episode was parodying and the plot is pretty similar to said story.  But, when I finally watched it, while it was predictable for the most part, I also found it to be very cute and enjoyable.



            So this episode focuses on Rarity and Pinkie Pie going to Manehattan for different reasons: Rarity is looking for a location for her newest fashion boutique and Pinkie is there with her sister, Maud, as part of a tradition she has where she sets one day aside for each of her sisters to go sight-seeing somewhere before exchanging gifts at the end of the day.  But complications arise when Pinkie has trouble finding the perfect gift for her sister.



            As I said, anyone who knows what story this is based on could guess what happens pretty quickly and the only reason I'm not saying what story it's based on is so that I don't ruin it for anyone who doesn't know.  Still, this episode has plenty of humor and heart to make up for the predictability.



            Maud is hilarious as always, particularly whenever she's talking about her favorite topic: rocks.  There's an especially funny line from her that takes place in a jewelry store that is too hilarious for me to ruin.  Go watch it if you haven't yet.  There are plenty of other funny moments sprinkled throughout that I won't give away.



            However, even with all of the comedy in the episode, there's also a surprising moment of heart at its center.  The message found in here is that a gift isn't nearly as important as the thought behind it which we get to see from both of the Pie sisters and even see the sacrifices they're willing to make.  This is a really great moral for kids that you don't always see that often.



            So in the end, can this episode be predictable at times?  Definitely.  But the mixture of comedy and heart at its center are still well worth a watch.  This episode I found to still be decent enough for at least one viewing.







            And that was my review of the latest MLP episode and I'd like to know your thoughts on this episode if you've seen it.  Feel free to comment below, keep loving movies and TV Shows, and I'll see you on the next post.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment