Thursday, March 31, 2016

Empire: Death Will Have His Day Review

            I find it interesting when certain forms of media take classic works and modernize them with a unique spin and the TV Show, Empire, is no exception.  Based heavily off of the Shakespearean tragedy, King Lear, this is a show that I've been hooked on ever since it premiered a little over a year ago, but I never would've expected it to be as big of a hit as it turned out to be.



            I mean, for the entire first season, this show proceeded to increase in viewership every single week to the point that the finale was viewed by over 17 million people.  This is the exact opposite of most shows that decrease in viewership each week and this season, with the exception of one episode, Empire has managed to stay in the 8 digit realm of viewership week after week.



            In this episode, we see major changes happening as Lucious Lyon is voted out of his own company and his youngest son, Hakeem, sets his sights on becoming the new CEO.  But Lucious isn't going out without a fight as Cookie tries to get inside Empire and overthrow the oppressive Camilla who's set on completely changing the company.



            Now there are several things that I fell in love with with Empire when I started watching it and all of it is here.  First is the characters and their interactions with each other.  You truly believe everything that these characters say and do whether it be playful banter, snarky comments, heartbreaking laments, or even hostile threats.  The many different relationships are always entertaining and well developed.



            Another thing that I love is the way that the story plays out.  I've always been of the mindset that watching an episode of Empire is like watching a well thought out chess match.  Every moment has a reaction/consequence that always keeps me glued to the TV, wondering what's going to happen next and it never disappoints.



            Finally, the music is always amazing.  There's a show that's been going on for a while now on ABC called Nashville that, in all honesty, never really interested me.  But, when I talked with people who liked the show, I found out that the show is popular for featuring completely original country music in each episode.  I've therefore come to the conclusion that Nashville does for country what Empire does for Hip-Hop.



            The music in each and every episode, produced by legend Timbaland, never disappoints and I always add it to my playlists on Spotify the next day.  I actually have 3 playlists.  1 for Season 1, another for Season 2, and the final one for my favorites from the show.  I listen to them pretty frequently throughout each week I love the songs that much.



            With this latest episode, Empire comes back with a vengeance and has me completely invested in where they're going to take the show in the following weeks.  With the show being renewed for a third season, Empire certainly isn't going anywhere but up from here on out.







            And that was my review of the latest episode of Empire and I'd like to know your thoughts on it if you've seen it.  Feel free to comment below, keep loving movies and TV Shows, and I'll see you on the next post.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment