Monday, March 21, 2016

Once Upon A Time: Devil's Due Review

            As a long time follower of Once Upon A Time, if there's anything this show has taught me, it's that everyone is somehow connected in one way or another.  Sometimes it's friendship, sometimes it's familial, but either way there's always a connection.  I've also learned that when it comes to the familial connections, it gets really complicated and awkward most of the time.



            A prime example of this is in the Season 2 episode Manhattan when Emma Swan goes with Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin on a trip to New York to find his son Baelfire.  Things get complicated when she discovers that Baelfire is actually her former lover, Neal, who she had Henry with.  So Mr. Gold turns out to be Henry's grandfather on his dad's side, Snow White and Prince Charming are his grandparents on his mom's side, and Regina/The Evil Queen is both his step-great-grandmother while also being his adopted mother.  You guys keeping track so far?



            The point that I was trying to get at is that for anyone who saw last night's episode, you know that that family tree gets even more fucked up and awkward which can work in the comedic sense, but, at the same time, I thought my head was going to explode.  I remember thinking to myself, "Is there going to be a quiz on this?  Because I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail."



            So after the previous episode, Hades has grown impatient with Hook's unwillingness to choose which 3 of his friends he wants to keep in the Underworld and therefore condemns him to being sent to the River Of Lost Souls from which there's no escape.



            This is an episode that, while I did enjoy it, there were a few areas that came across as kind of predictable.  Like when they were talking about the River Of Lost Souls, I knew that someone was going to wind up in there at some point and, sure enough, I was right.  I won't say who, but anyone watching could most likely figure it out.  There was also a moment where a character makes a deal with Hades only for Hades to go back on that deal.  Seriously?!?  This bullshit is such a painful, stupid cliche that we've seen numerous times already!!!  When are people going to learn that you can't trust the devil!?!  You... MORON!!!



            However, even though those little details were a problem, there were plenty of aspects that I found interesting.  I already knew about the cemetery with tombstones of the Underworld's inhabitants, but, through a pretty clever moment of dialogue, it's revealed that the state of each tombstone reveals each soul's fate: An upright tombstone means that they're still in the Underworld, a tipped over tombstone means that they've moved on to a better place, and a cracked tombstone means that they've gone to a worse place (which I can only figure would be Tartarus for any of you Greek Mythology and/or MLP fans out there).



            The team ends up being successful in rescuing Hook, but that doesn't mean that they're anywhere close to leaving as the situation is revealed to be even more complicated than before.  Additionally, the flashback to the Enchanted Forest, while tying up some loose ends, I was also amazed with how it showed a character's sins of the past which end up becoming the demons of his present as a contract that he thought he had found a way out of long ago by killing someone is still, in the words of Ursula from The Little Mermaid, "legal, binding, and completely unbreakable" as Hades drops a major bombshell at the end.  As the old saying goes,


            (Yeah yeah yeah.  You guys could probably tell I was waiting for another opportunity to use that.)



            So this episode proved to be slightly flawed but overall still enjoyable with me completely invested in figuring out how the heroes will get out of this current predicament they're wrapped up in.







            And that was my review of Devil's Due and I'd like to know your thoughts if you've seen this episode yet.  Feel free to comment below, keep loving movies and TV Shows, and I'll see you on my Gotham review.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment