Saturday, March 26, 2016

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - The Crystalling Part I and II Review

            Let me just start off by saying how happy I am that I didn't have to wait too long for this show to come back.  After almost 2 years ago when Season 4 ended and the show didn't come back for Season 5 for 11 months, I was glad that the wait didn't need to be that long again.  But now that that's out of the way, let's get on with the review of the Season 6 2-Parter.



            Picking up not too long after the Season 5 Finale, these episodes see Princess Twilight taking the newly reformed Starlight Glimmer under her wing as a student.  At the same time, the Mane 6 must travel to the Crystal Empire to help Shining Armor and Cadence with the "Crystalling" of their newest foal.  Things get even more complicated when Starlight has to reconnect with an old friend of hers who lives in the empire and when the new foal turns out to be an Alicorn whose flying and unstable magic make the Cake twins look mild by comparison.  Not to mention the fact that the empire is about to be plunged into an eternal winter unless someone can come up with a solution.



            Starting right off the bat, Starlight Glimmer's development in these episodes is the best part of them.  The Season 5 finale had her trying to ruin the connection that Twilight had with her friends by going back in time to prevent Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom from happening as payback for ruining her cult (call it whatever you want but that was definitely a cult) where everypony was forced to have the same cutie mark.



            But, later on in the finale, we got to see that her reason for this was because of the fact that a fillyhood friend of hers named Sunburst got his cutie mark before her resulting in him going off to Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns and never keeping in touch with Starlight ever again.  Some people thought that this was kind of a childish reason for her to act like she did, but what did you expect?  She was a filly when this happened and therefore would have that deep seeded mentality in her mind going into adulthood.



            In this premiere, Starlight is given her first friendship lesson by Twilight which involves reconnecting with Sunburst, but, quite naturally, she isn't quite comfortable with the idea.  She's afraid of reconnecting with him not only because of the painful memories it brings back, but also because his cutting off ties with Starlight was part of what led her to create her cult.  Not to mention, she feels inferior to him as she believes he went on to great things while she went on to less than honorable things that she's afraid to bring up around him.



            Starlight actually reminds me quite a bit of Sunset Shimmer from the Equestria Girls movies (and not just because Shimmer rhymes with Glimmer  XD  ) as they both seem to have similar arcs when it comes to their reformations.  One of the differences being that Sunset has been given a full arc in the following Equestria Girls sequels while Starlight is still at the very beginning of her reformation, leaving me interested in seeing where she goes in future episodes.



            Another thing that was brought up was Shining Armor and Cadence's new foal, Flurry Heart, being the first Alicorn to have been born.  This definitely caught some people off guard as the characters mention that the only way that one becomes an Alicorn is by completing a task worthy enough for them to ascend to that level.  The fact that Flurry Heart is the first Alicorn to be born had me curious as to how Princesses Celestia and Luna ascended as plenty of people probably believed that they had always been Alicorns.  This might rub some people the wrong way, but I'd be interested in whether or not they're going to give the two sisters more of a backstory in the future.  Also, with this new piece of information, does that mean that all Alicorns are immortal?  I'd like to see that expanded upon if they ever get the chance.



            Finally, it was nice to see Celestia actually doing something when the storm started to come in as she and Luna used their magic to try to hold the clouds back while everypony else was trying to figure out how to solve their predicament.  I'm just soo happy at the fact that she actually did shit in an episode.  I just like characters who do shit.



            Something that I would've had a problem with is the fact that this premiere does have a "Liar Revealed" cliche in the second half that, fortunately, wasn't lingered on for very long, so I give it a pass.  What I did have a problem with were several moments that fell into the "predictable" category which wouldn't bother me as much if they weren't as painfully obvious and many as they were.  Finally, there were a couple of characters that I thought might've had OOC moments, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure about that.



            In the end, this isn't my favorite 2-Parter but I still find it to be pretty decent enough.  If I were to rate it like I do in my movie reviews I'd probably rank it at a 3.5/5 stars.  Not sure this will be anyone's favorite but it's still worth a watch if you're interested in that kind of thing.







            And that was my review of the 2 Part premiere of MLP and I'd like to know what your thoughts were about the episodes if you saw it.  Feel free to comment below, keep loving movies and TV Shows, and I'll see you on the next post.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment